Monday, November 20, 2006

"Little-Faith"

I never really expected to get anything out of a sermon written in 1885.

Yesterday wandering around my college library, I picked up a book of Spurgeon's sermons. I anticipated dry reading and was pleasantly surprised by a sermon I really needed, "the History of Littte-Faith."

I thought I'd share a few of the best parts...

A call to humility...
"Let no man think of himself beyond his own experience. Experience is the true gauge; and he who boasts of an untried faith is puffed up with vain glory. Stretch not your arm beyond your sleeve, lest it be frost-bitten."

The beauty of "Little-Faith"...
"Those who have greater faith know that they have found their Lord; they know that he is as the sun which cannot be hidden; they feel his warmth, and rejoice in his light; yet the keen hunger after Christ which goes with Little-Faith is an admirable thing, and the Lord himself hath blssed it...the eager longings of a trembling heart after the Lord Jesus are full of loveliness and fragrance, and are by no means to be despised."

Comfort for "Little-Faith"...
"He that believeth even with a little and a trembling believing, is safe beneath the guardian care of the Eternal God."

Spurgeon based his entire "History of Little Faith" sermon off of Matthew 14:31,

"And immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and caught him, and said to him, 'O you of little faith, why did you doubt?' "

2 comments:

Brittney said...

Wow! Those are great points! Thanks for sharing that!! I think going back and reading old messages like that are good for an old fashioned inspiration! Those truths are timeless.

Grace Joan said...

Spurgeon is one of my favorites!
I find that I get so much more out of sermons that were preached over 100 years ago than I do from most sermons I hear today (John Piper, and R.C. Sproul are a couple exceptions).
~Grace