Tuesday, September 12, 2006

refining fire

This Sunday I had the privilege of listening to a message titled, "Sensing God in the Storms of Life." The message had several good points, but one striking analogy.

The pastor explained the story of how silver is refined. Once the silversmith puts the silver in the fire, he doesn't take his eye off it. He doesn't let anything distract him. How does he know when the silver is perfect and pure? "I know the silver is pure when I can see my face reflected in it."

You will recall Bible verses that speak of God refining our hearts.

Psalm 66:10
"For You, O God, have tested us; You have refined us as silver is refined."

Daniel 11:34-36
"Now when they fall, they shall be aided with a little help; but many shall join with them by intrigue. And some of those of understanding shall fall, to refine them, purify them, and make them white, until the time of the end; because it is still for the appointed time."

Finally, the verse I found most powerful.

Zechariah 13:9
"I will bring the one-third through the fire, will refine them as silver is refined, and test them as gold is tested. They will call on My name, and I will answer them. I will say, 'This is My people'; and each one will say, 'The Lord is my God.' "

"I know the silver is pure when I can see my face reflected in it."
We are pure when we reflect God's image.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow... thank you for this post. I'm going through a little storm in life right now. I needed that.

Elizabeth Pruett said...

I love that analogy! It shows just how much God cares for us and desires us to be like Him.

Anonymous said...

The bible compares this refining process that silver and gold go through as one that God permits us to undergo. One who completely allows God to freely do his will in their life, will shine brighter than their previous brialliance. this posting is a really nice one that depicts that process. God bless you all keep on moving towards your goals.
Be REFINE and PURIFIED by the Lord.